Mission Statement of St. Francis College
St. Francis College is a private, independent, co-educational, urban college whose Franciscan and Catholic traditions underpin its commitment to academic excellence, spiritual and moral values, physical fitness, social responsibility, and life-long learning. We educate the whole person for a full, relational life, developing the students’ talents and abilities to form confident alumni well prepared for graduate study, for meaningful, fulfilling careers, as well as for collaborative, service-oriented leadership. The College strives to offer ample opportunities for students to immerse themselves in the intellectual, cultural and professional opportunities afforded by New York City and to serve the needs of the local community in which they live and study.
The College provides a quality, accessibly priced education to students from the five Boroughs of New York City and well beyond. Specifically, our students experience a strong liberal arts core curriculum integrated with pre-professional programs in a wide range of disciplines, designed to prepare them for the rigors of an increasingly technological and globalized marketplace and society. Excellence of instruction, small classes and professors’ individual attention to each student create a hospitable community atmosphere, based on trust and mutual respect. These foster the development of critical thinking, moral choices, responsible citizenship and personal commitment to social justice and the environment. Our location in Brooklyn Heights provides a confluence of cultures and religious beliefs, mirroring our commitment to maintain and celebrate our diverse student body.
Recognizing the original Franciscan understanding of hospitality as a challenging, risk taking social contract, we strive for gradient and appreciable success in achieving the following measurable goals:
- Promoting academic excellence
- Promoting existing and emerging academic undergraduate programs and exploring further development of graduate programs.
- Recruiting and sustaining students and professors into a dynamic cooperative of artists- athletes-scholars.
- Advancing a thriving intellectual community:
- Continual commitment of resources to state-of-the art technology throughout the campus.
- Supporting student life and the development of the whole person
- Enabling the smooth transition of our local, national and global student body into the college community and city.
- Promoting holistic wellness to develop both leadership and fellowship
- Enabling the transition from student to citizen of the world:
- Fostering students’ self-confidence and encouraging both responsibility and innovation through mentoring, classroom experiences and internships.
- Developing collaborative leadership and citizenship by participation in activities, sports, clubs, and student-faculty projects.
As adopted by the faculty, in Assembly, May 16, 2008