Academic Policies

For additional policies related to Student Life, please check the Cord.

Undergraduate Courses and Registration

Twice each year, the Registrar’s Office sets registration appoint­ments. In spring, students register for May intersession, summer and fall courses; in fall, for intersession and spring courses. Students are encour­aged to register early when most sections are available. Consult the academic calendar for specific dates. Students must meet with an academic advisor to have their course selections approved before they are allowed to register. Registration is contingent upon a record of satisfactory grades for the previous semester and completion of all prerequisites. Registration indicates student’s intention to satisfy the pay­ment arrangements as required by the Student Accounts Office. Students may not attend any course for which they have not registered. They must attend the section selected unless permission has been obtained from the Registrar to change from one section to another.

Dropping Courses

Students are permitted to drop courses during the add/drop period of each semester as indicated on the Academic calendar. This right in no way relieves the student of the responsibility to complete the general education program or departmental requirements in the appropriate sequence, nor does it relieve the student of tuition obligations. See the Tuition Refund Schedule on the college website for more information.

Withdrawal from Courses 

Students who wish to withdraw from a course after add/drop period indicated on the Academic Calendar may do so as follows:

  • Report to the Registrar’s Office to complete the proper forms during the prescribed time period as outlined in the Academic Calendar.
  • The mark of W (withdrawal) will appear on the transcript for the course but will not be computed in the student’s quality-point index.
  • The last day for withdrawal from courses with a mark of W is indicated in the Academic Calendar. Only under very unusual circumstances, and with the permission of the Academic Dean, will students be permitted to withdraw after the deadline. The date of withdrawal is the day the stu­dent informs the Registrar’s Office in writing.

Note: The failure to attend a class does not constitute an official withdrawal from a course. Students who drop or withdraw from a course are advised to see a financial aid counselor regarding the effect this action may have upon their receiving financial aid. Students obliged to withdraw from the College should contact the Registrar’s Office for further instructions.

Withdrawing from the College

Students who would like to discontinue their enrollment at St. Francis College can submit a withdrawal from the institution form.  Withdrawal means that a student will leave St. Francis College without a plan to return.  Students are reminded that any loans they have taken to help fund their education will go into repayment immediately after a period of 6 months of non-enrollment and that tuition refunds are issued in accordance with the Tuition Refund Policy.  It is recommended that students speak with their academic advisor and a financial aid counselor before withdrawing in order to discuss the impact of this decision. 
Students who are withdrawing from all courses must submit a Withdrawal from the Institution form and must participate in an exit counseling discussion when contacted by the Academic Dean's office. 

  • Student-athletes must also have approval from the Assistant Director of Student Athlete Support as well as the NCAA Compliance Officer
  • ​International students also need the signature of the International Student Advisor/DSO.
  • ​The form can be found on the SFC webpage by clicking Registrar>Forms>Advisement & Registration

Leave of Absence from the College

A student may request a leave of absence for one or two semesters.  The Leave must be filed no later than the last day of the add/drop period.  The reason for leave must be indicated on the form so that the Academic Dean's office may follow-up appropriately.  A leave begins at the end of a regular semester and shall not be granted for more than two semesters during the pursuit of the undergraduate degree.  The student is expected to return at the conclusion of the leave or to request an extension of the leave.  A leave will not be granted or will be rescinded if the student is suspended.  Students interested must submit the Leave of Absence/Withdrawal from the Institution form and must participate in a discussion on the decision to file for Leave, with a representative from the Academic Dean's office.

  • Student Athletes must also have the approval of the Assistant Director of Student Athlete Support as well as the NCAA Compliance Officer
  • International students also need the signature of the International Student Advisor/DSO. 

The Office of the Registrar communicates with students on leave reminding them of the advising/registration period.  Students retain access to their SFC email and login and can schedule appointments to connect with campus supports, as needed.  Students are reminded that any loans they have taken to help fund their education will go into repayment immediately after a period of 6 months of non-enrollment.  Students are advised to meet with a financial aid counselor to discuss the implications of leave on their aid package. 
Unregistered students who do not submit a formal leave of absence, or do not return at the conclusion of their two-semester period of approved leave period, are withdrawn from the college and must meet with Admissions and reapply, if they wish to return. 

Military Leave of Absence

Any student who receives orders to report for active military duty should complete the Leave of Absence/Withdrawal form and indicate Active Duty as reason for leave, as well as upload a copy of military orders (if a copy of military orders is not available, the student may begin the leave process and submit orders upon return).  If the leave occurs late in the semester, the student may arrange In Progress grading option with their professors and the Academic Dean.  Upon completion of active military duty, the student will be automatically readmitted to the College by notifying the Office of the Registrar in writing of his/her intent to resume academic study at St. Francis.

Request for Personal/Medical Hardship Retroactive Withdrawals

Students may face unforeseen circumstances that require them to leave the College temporarily or permanently.  The College will attempt to minimize the burden as much as possible though our Personal Medical Hardship Withdrawal processes.  As part of the process, students must provide a detailed statement describing the medical or personal hardship experienced, provided their last dates of attendance/course engagement and any relevant supporting documentation such as a statement from a licensed medical professional. 
Students should make every effort to present their situation as soon as possible, and ideally no later than the end of the term for which the retroactive withdrawal is requested.  If the semester has already ended and grades have been recorded, students may request that the grades be converted to withdrawals (mark of W).
Submitting a request for personal or medical hardship withdrawal does not relieve the student of tuition obligations.  Students should review the Tuition Cancellation schedule. 
To file for the Personal/Medical Hardship withdrawal, students must first complete the Withdrawal/Leave of Absence Application and indicate Personal or Health as reason for withdrawal request.  After this submission students will be contacted and provided with the Personal/Medical Hardship withdrawal form link for submission of statement and documentation.  Unless a severe extenuating circumstance has occurred, following one full fall or spring semester, the student's record will become permanent, and changes of grades to withdrawals will no longer be allowed. 


When a student is ready to return to the College after taking a leave for 1 or 2 semesters, they must submit a request for reactivation by emailing the Registrar at  They will be directed to complete a Reactivation application.  In order to reactivate, students must resolve any registration blocking holds such as financial account, immunization, transcript, dean of students, and probation holds. 

Students who have not been enrolled for more than 2 major consecutive terms, were academically suspended, or stopped out and transferred  to another institution and are interested in re-enrollment, must complete the Admissions application and indicate readmission.  Students returning after a period of one year can be required to satisfy the academic regulations of the most recent college catalog.  If they have any questions about readmission they can contact

Credit Hours and Credit-Hour Loads

Full-time students are those enrolled for at least 12 credits or the equivalent. Part-time students are those enrolled for fewer than 12 credits or the equivalent. One credit hour represents one hour of regular class participation in a lecture or two or more hours in a laboratory session each week. Full-time students may not carry fewer than 12 a semester. Students may receive permission from their Department Chairperson for up to 19 credits. Academic Dean approval is required for 20-21 credits. Under no circumstances may a student register for more than 21 credit hours for a single semester. No student may register for more than 2 courses during a summer session or one course during an intersession. A student registered only for AED-4990 Supervised Student Teaching / CED-4990 Supervised Student Teaching / PE-4990 Supervised Student Teaching (Supervised Student Teaching) is considered a full-time student.

Pass-Fail Courses

To increase flexibility during a course of study in an undergraduate elective or General Education course, students may choose a Pass (P) or No Credit (NC) grade in place of a regular letter.  Courses required in the Honors program, major degree, and minor programs may not be selected for pass-no credit status, including those that also satisfy a General Education requirement.  Internships, field placements, tutorials, and independent study courses required for a major or minor degree program may not be selected to receive a P/NC grade.  Any courses being used to substitute for a major or minor course may not be selected to receive a P/NC grade.  No more than one course per term and two courses per academic year can be taken on a P/NC basis.  The P/NC option may not exceed the following overall credit limits to earn a degree:

  • Associate's degree - up to but not more than 6 credits
  • ​Bachelor's degree - up to but not more than 12 credits
  • ​The student must designate the course that he or she wishes to take P/NC on a special form provided by the Registrar's Office no later than the date indicated on the Academic Calendar.  The student has the option until the deadline to withdraw their P/NC form.  After the deadline, the P/NC grade cannot be reversed.  This privilege does not excuse students from the required work of the particular course.  It is highly recommended that students consult with their academic advisor before submitted a Pass/No Credit form.  Further, students in programs that follow standards for external accreditation (I.e., Nursing, Teacher Certification) should consult with their department chair before selecting the P/NC option for any course.  St. Francis College does not guarantee that other institutions will calculate a GPA in the same manner as detailed above when P/NC grades appear on a student's transcript. 

Independent Study

Independent study refers to the investigation of a topic selected by a student in consultation with a faculty member who advises and directs the progress of the student’s research. It is open to qualified students (both majors and non-majors) who have completed at least three courses (nine credit hours) in the particular discipline or students who are otherwise qualified in the judgment of the faculty mentor and department chairperson.

Students cannot register for more than one independent study course in a given semester without written approval of the Academic Dean. In addition, no student may complete more than six credits in total (normally two courses) through independent study without written approval from the Academic Dean. The pass-fail option is not available for independent study courses.  Independent Study courses cannot be applied to General Education requirements.  Written approval of the course mentor and department chairperson is needed for all Independent Study courses with a title and description of the project.

Field Placements and Internships

Excellent opportunities exist for paid and volunteer work experi­ences in a number of fields through various field placement and internship programs. Academic credit is often awarded by per­mission of department chairpersons. Some internship sites include National Grid, NY State Assembly, NY City Council, JP Morgan Chase, and various local hospital centers and public and private schools.

Field placements and internships refer to observation and super­vised experience within selected settings in an area of a student’s professional interests for which credit is granted. The purpose of a field placement or internship is to provide practical experience in a work setting chosen by the student in consultation with the faculty coordinator. Application of course work and theory as well as problems and progress are discussed. The course allows the student an opportunity to grow and refine skills in prepara­tion for employment after graduation.

Students must obtain the written permission of the departmental chairperson in which the field placement or internship is being conducted and the cooperation of a faculty coordinator willing to supervise the academic aspects of the project. Students meet with their faculty coordinators to arrange for site placement and a supervising officer in the field placement or internship who is responsible for completing an evaluation at the conclusion of the semester.

Field placements and internships must amount to a minimum of 135 hours per semester for a three-credit field placement or internship. In addition to site placement hours, papers, and conferences on campus, students are required to maintain a log detailing their activities and experiences in the course and submit it to the faculty coordinator in time for a grade to be assigned in accordance with the academic calendar.

Students are required to check with the respective department to determine the specific requirements of each field placement or internship course. No student is permitted to register for more than one three-credit field placement or internship in a given semester without written ap­proval of the Academic Dean. In addition, no student may complete more than six credits in total (normally two courses) through field placement or internship without written permission of the Academic Dean. The pass-fail option is not available for field placement or internship courses.

Courses at Other Institutions

Except for approved cross-registrations with affiliated programs, the College does not grant permission to pursue courses at other institutions, unless a required course is not being offered during the semester at St. Francis College. When such permission is granted, the combined programs may not exceed 18 credit hours per semester during the fall and spring semester. Permis­sion may be granted to attend the summer session at another institution.  In no case may a student take a total of more than two courses during a summer session or one course during the winter intersession.

Permission may be granted to take courses at another institution under the following conditions only:

  • The student has a cumulative quality-point index of at least 2.0.
  • Student must provide course descriptions and written approval by the chair of the department and by the Academic Dean in accordance with the policies of the departments concerned (such approval will normally not be given for students who have entered the senior year). Credits will be transferred only for courses for which students received a grade of C or better. Major courses may have higher grade requirements as indicated in the program of study

Note: Transcripts to be evaluated for credit from any off-campus source (including courses at other institutions, CLEP scores, NYU Language Proficiency Exams, and military transcripts) must be received by the Registrar’s Office at least three months prior to the student’s anticipated commencement date.

Study Abroad

Students may elect to study abroad for one or two semesters and apply this work toward the St. Francis degree. Students may select a course and place of study from among many programs sponsored by international education agencies such as the Insti­tute of European Studies or the International Education Ex­change Service. They may also participate in the Inter-American Studies Program sponsored by the United States Government or other recognized educational institutions. Interested students should consult their department chairperson and obtain program approval from the study abroad program director. All grades earned while studying abroad are included on the student’s transcript, and are calculated into the quality-point index. There may some exceptions based on timing and sponsor of program.


The SFC attendance policy applies to all courses instruction modalities.  In order to be successful, it is the student's responsibility to complete course requirements as outlined in the course syllabus and to demonstrate engagement through completing course requirements, regularly logging into Canvas, participating in course discussions and reviewing of materials provided in all class formats (synchronous, asynchronous, on-line, or in person), as applicable.  When we refer to attendance, we are referring to participation and engagement which is assessed through a combination of timely completion of assigned coursework and active participation in virtual discussions and forums, whether online, in person, or combination of both.  Note: Some specific programs such as Nursing and Education may have additional participation requirements associated with certification and accreditation, which will be shared by the appropriate department or program.
Students with significant lack of participation and engagement will be contacted by their professor and may be flagged by their professor using the College's early-alert process, and will be contacted by the academic support team to discuss resources.  Students who do not demonstration participation and engagement or whose last date of activity in the course is before the withdrawal date, and who have not submitted an official withdrawal or leave of absence form, may receive a grade of X, which has the same computational effect as an F in the GPA. 

Religious Holidays

All colleges and universities in New York State must not in any way penalize a student who, because of his or her religious beliefs, is unable to register, attend class, take an examination, or participate in any required academic work on a particular day or days. Any absence(s) accrued under these circumstances will be excused, and alternatives will be provided for the student to register or make up any required work. No additional fees, requirements, or penalties will be assessed. All members of the College community are expected to exercise good faith with respect to the implementation of these provisions.

Undergraduate Grading Policies

Final grades reflect the combined results of examinations and class work. They are computed according to the following scale:

Grade Description Quality Points
A Superior 4.0
A- Excellent 3.67
B+ Accomplished 3.33
B Very Good 3.33
B- Good 2.67
C+ Above Average 2.33
C Average 2.0
C- Below Averge 2.0
D Poor 1.0
F Failing 0.0
H Honors (not computed)
HP High Pass (not computed)
IP In Progress (not computed)1
LP Low Pass (not computed)
NC No Credit (not computed)
P Passing (not computed)
W Withdrawal (not computed)
X Non-Attendance 0.0

Scholastic achievement is recorded by means of quality points. Points are assigned as indicated in the preceding table for each credit hour completed. The quality-point index (QPI) is obtained by multiplying the credit value of each course (whether passed or failed) by the number of points that correspond to the grade earned, adding all of the resulting quality points together and dividing the total number of quality points by the total number of credit hours. When a course is repeated, the academic record is recomputed. See the section on Course Repetition, below.

Courses completed at St. Francis College are evaluated for purposes of the quality-point index and honors. Also courses are included in the total index if they are taken as part of the Study Abroad Program, medical technology programs, or at partner institutions with active affiliation or cross-registration agreements. Transfer credits are not included.

Students who do not attend a course—or who cease attending before the published last date of with­drawal without submitting an official withdrawal form—are subject to a final mark of X which will denote their non-attendance. This mark will compute as a failure.

A cumulative QPI of 2.0 is required for graduation. A QPI of 2.0 in the major field is also required for graduation. Some majors require a higher QPI. See the program of study for more information.

Students may not expect to receive a passing grade in any course in which they fail to demonstrate college level English writing skills in essays, examinations, and other written requirements.

Class Standing

Regular or matriculated students are those who have fulfilled enrollment requirements and are pursuing a degree program. Regular students are classified as follows:

Division Class Credit Range
Lower Division 01-Lower Freshman 0-13.9
Lower Division 02-Upper Freshman 14-27.9
Lower Division 03-Lower Sophomore 28-43.9
Lower Division 04-Upper Sophomore 44-59.9
Upper Division 05-Lower Junior 60-74.9
Upper Division 06-Upper Junior 75-89.9
Upper Division 07-Lower Senior 90-106.9
Upper Division 08-Upper Senior 107+

Dean’s List

Each semester a list of honor students is published by the Aca­demic Dean. This list recognizes students’ academic achieve­ments and includes those students who have achieved a quality-point index of 3.5 or better. In order to be eligible for this award, students must attempt and complete 9 or more credit hours on the undergraduate level, exclusive of remedial courses, dropped courses, and courses taken as pass-fail. This award is open to matriculated students only.

Course Repetition

Students are allowed to repeat courses and attempt to earn a higher grade for classes taken at the College; students are encour­aged to repeat any course(s) they have failed as soon as the course is again offered. The policy for the computation of the quality-point index changes for courses repeated in the Fall 2004 semester or later, viz., When a course has been attempted more than once, only the last grade received for that course will be used to compute the cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA). The previous grade(s) will remain on the transcript, but will not be calculated as part of the cumulative GPA.

Courses repeated before fall 2004 follow the previous policy, viz., when the succeeding grade is higher than the previous grade(s), only the higher grade is calculated in the cumulative GPA. When the succeeding grade is the same or lower than the previous grade(s), all grades are calculated in the GPA, but credit is granted only once.

Academic Major Forgiveness Policy

The forgiveness policy offers the opportunity to improve an undergraduate student's academic record after not having successfully completed required courses in an initial chosen major area of study.  This policy entails that the student completes and application to petition for forgiveness whereby the poor grades in the initial major are forgiven.  To apply for forgiveness, the student must have declared and, if relevant, been formally accepted in a new major program of study.  Forgiveness is granted only once during the entire time a student is enrolled or re-enrolls at the College.  The application, available from an Academic Dean, must be submitted before the student has attained lower junior standing (the equivalent of 60 credits).  For more information on eligibility criteria, please review the procedures in The Cord.

D Grades in Major Courses

Waivers for D grades in a major may be granted. A department chairperson may choose to waive a D in a major-field course provided the student has maintained a 2.0 index in his/her major. Under no circumstances may more than two D grades in a major be waived. Some majors require grades of B or better – lower grades should be discussed with the chairperson and repeated as needed. A grade of F in a major-field course may never be waived.

Report of Grades

Twice each semester, the Registrar notifies students that grades are available for review via Self-Service. Mid-semester grades provide feedback to students in a more formal manner that will alert the student to his/her learning and performance at the approximate mid-point of the semester. Midterm grades are collected to support student academic performance, success and retention. Progress grades are used for advising purposes, but are not recorded on the permanent academic record. Grades awarded at the end of the semester become part of the student’s official academic record. More information on the midterm grade assessment is available in The Cord.

Written permission of the student is required for the release of academic information to anyone other than the appropriate academic officials of the College.

Appeal of Grades

To appeal a grade, the student must, as the indispensable first step, approach the faculty member who gave the grade and request a review and change of grade.  If the faculty member agrees to change the grade, then the faculty member has the responsibility to notify the Registrar.  If the faculty member refuses to change the grade, then the student should discuss the concern with the chairperson of the department.  If the chair does cannot resolve the concern, the student may submit a request for a review and change of grade to the Academic Standards and Integrity Committee via email  The request must be submitted to the Academic Standards and Integrity Committee within six (6) weeks of the first day of class of the semester following that in which the contested grade was given.  More information on the Appeal of Grades is available in The Cord.

Probation and Academic Suspension

All students must maintain a GPA of 2.0 to be in good academic standing. Academic Probation is a status that indicates a student's academic work is below the expected standard.  Students are expected to work closely with the CLL' Academic Resource & Recovery team and their CSS academic advisor to return to good standing.  All students on academic probation are required to participate in the College's academic recovery program, Removing Obstacles for Success (ROS). 
After one term on probation, students who are not in good academic standing will be academically suspended.  Students are subject to academic suspension or dismissal at any time for poor academic standing or for failure to demonstrate academic progress.  Excessive course withdrawals and no credit (NC) grades regardless of the student's quality-point index, are an example of the student's failure to demonstrate academic progress.  In addition, students are subject to academic dismissal based on recommendation of the faculty committee on Academic Integrity. 
Any student who has been placed on academic suspension from the College has the right to petition the Committee on Academic Appeals to reconsider its decision.  Students can complete a petition form, explaining the extenuating circumstances beyond the student's control that caused the poor academic performance.  Decisions on such appeals by the Committee on Academic Appeals shall be considered final.  Any student who successfully appeals and is retained from an academic suspension will automatically by placed on academic probation and must participate in the Removing Obstacles to Success Program.

Degree Requirements, Graduation, and Commencement

General Education Program

The General Education Program is the academic cornerstone of St. Francis College and affirms its mission to graduate educated, well-rounded students to enter and participate in a changing and culturally diverse world.

As an integrated program of studies, it focuses on developing the skills expected of a liberally educated person. It provides students with a broadly based foundation outside their areas of specialization, an understanding of how various disciplines intersect and differ, and assistance in cultivating a disposition for lifelong learning.

General Proficiency Outcomes

  • Sensitivity to creative expression
  • Communicate ideas and information through written, oral, visual and digital media
  • The development of critical and analytical skills
  • Exploration of diverse perspectives of the human experience
  • Information, technology and media literacy
  • Quantitative literacy

General Education Program: First Year College & Bodies of Knowledge

Student Learning Outcomes1 Degree:Associates, Bachelor of Science, Nursing Completion (BS, NUR) and Bachelor of Science Professional Studies Traditional Baccalaaureate Degrees
First Year College: (One course in each First Year Category) 18 (One course in each First Year Category) 18
Writing (WR)
Quantitative literacy (QR)
Oral Communications (OC)
Fitness/Health (FH)
Information, Technology & Media Literacy (ITML)
Religious Studies (RS)
Freshman Seminar (FS)
Bodies of Knowledge: (One course in each Body of Knowledge) 15 (Two courses in each Body of Knowledge) 30
Humanistic & Creative Expression (HCE)
Natural & Physical World (NPW)
Philosophical, Ethical & Moral Dimensions (PEM)
Social Environment & Human Experience (SEH)
World Heritage & Global Perspectives (WHG)
Minimum credits 33 48

Liberal Arts Requirements and Courses

New York State requires that a certain percentage of degree credits be taken from courses in the Liberal Arts category. Three-quarters of the credits for degrees in Associate in Arts (minimum 45 credits) and Bachelor of Arts (minimum 90 credits) and one-half of the credits for degrees in Associate in Science (minimum 30 credits) and Bachelor of Science (minimum 60).

Liberal Arts must be selected from AMJ, AMS, BIO,  CHE, COM, ECO, ENG, FA, FRE, GRK, HIS, HON, HS, ICS, ITA, LAT,  MAT, PHI, PHY, PSC, PSY, REL, SCI, SOC, SPA, SS, or WRI listings.  Courses in the Bodies of Knowledge are designed to include liberal arts content regardless of the courses subject and meet the requirements for Liberal Arts courses. Certain CJ courses (such as CJ-1020 Introduction to Criminal Justice, CJ-3070 Addictions I and CJ-3075 Addictions II) and select introductory survey courses in other departments (ex. ED-1201 Foundations of Education) also meet the rquirements for Liberal Arts courses.  The following courses will not count as liberal arts electives: ECO-3331 Principles of Finance, ECO-3332 Managerial Finance, ECO-3333 Investment Analysis, ECO-4433 Portfolio Management.

Comprehensive Examination or Project

During senior year, the College tests students’ overall under­standing of their major fields of study. The test may take such forms as a senior seminar requiring the application of knowledge and skills acquired through the major, a senior thesis indicating mastery of the skills taught in the major and that demonstrates independent study, or a comprehensive written and/or oral examination. The specifics of this requirement are determined by the major department chairperson with the approval of the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Senior Residency Requirement

The final 30 credits for an undergraduate degree must be earned at St. Francis College unless special permission has been given by the Academic Dean.

Graduation Honors

Graduation honors are inscribed on baccalaureate diplomas and, when feasible, recorded in the published list of graduates. Stu­dents must complete 60 credits in residence for these honors.

Graduation Honor Minimum Index
Summa Cum Laude 3.8
Magna Cum Laude 3.6
Cum Laude 3.4

Participation in Commencement

Only students who have completed all degree requirements by the end of May Intersession will be eligible to participate in the May commencement exercises unless special permission has been given by the Academic Dean. 

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (also called FERPA or the Buckley Amendment), as amended, grants students certain rights, privileges, and protections relative to in­dividually identifiable student education records maintained by St. Francis College.

Students have the right to inspect and review their education records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access.

Students wishing to review their record should submit to the Registrar, Dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official a written request that identifies the record(s) they wish to inspect. The College official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the College official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

Students have the right to request the amendment of such records to ensure that they are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy or other rights.

Students who believe their record is inaccurate or misleading may request that the College amend the record by writing to the College official responsible for the record. The request should clearly identify the part of the record to be changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the College decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the College will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

Students have the right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in their education records, except that information which FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent (a representative list of exceptions appears below).

Students have the right to file with the U.S. Department of Education a complaint concerning alleged failure by the College to comply with FERPA to:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-5920

The College may deny access to the following classes of records:

  • Financial information submitted by parents.
  • Confidential letters or recommendations placed in the file prior to January 1, 1975.
  • Confidential letters or recommendations to which the student has waived rights of inspection.
  • Private records of instructors, counselors, or administrators kept for their own use.
  • Medical, psychiatric, psychological, or similar records.

The College may disclose educational records without written consent of students:

  • To personnel within the College who maintain educational records and those with a legitimate educational interest, in­cluding faculty or staff who deal with the student and carry out education duties, and employees designated by them to assist in these tasks. St. Francis College defines “legitimate educational interest” as “needs the record(s) to carry out em­ployment responsibilities.” Therefore, any College employee (or person acting on behalf of the College) may have access to student records without the student’s written consent if that person needs the access to carry out his or her employment responsibilities.
  • To officials at schools, colleges, or universities participating in cross-enrollment programs for the purposes stated in the bul­let above.
  • To officials of other colleges or universities in which the student seeks to enroll.
  • To accrediting organizations approved by the College carrying out their accrediting functions.
  • To certain officials of the U.S. Department of Education, the Comptroller General, and state and local educational authori­ties in connection with certain state or federally supported education programs.
  • In connection with a student’s request for or receipt of fi­nancial aid, as necessary to determine eligibility, amount or conditions of the financial aid, or to enforce the terms and conditions of the aid as well as to organizations conducting studies approved by the College having educational value or concerning financial aid.
  • If required by a state law requiring disclosure that was adopted before November 19, 1974.
  • To parents of an eligible student who claim the student as a dependent for income tax purposes.
  • College officials whose employment duties permit them access to information from parents’ federal income tax returns may use those returns to determine whether students are dependent on a parent as de­fined by the Internal Revenue Service. In such cases, FERPA and College policy permit those officials to disclose informa­tion from those student’s education records to their parents without written student consent. The College is not required to notify students or maintain a record of these disclosures.
  • To persons in compliance with a judicial order or a lawfully issued subpoena, with a notice of the disclosure being sent to the last known address of the student.
  • To persons in an emergency if, in the judgment of an official in charge of the records, knowledge of the information is nec­essary to protect the health of safety of the student or another person.

Students’ names and SFC e‑mail address(es) will be available to faculty, staff, and other students on the College’s computer network, including the e‑mail server and the learning management system.

Certain state and federal laws modify some or all rights granted by FERPA. Such laws include SEVIS and INS compliance (Department of Homeland Security), Megan’s Law, the Solomon Amendment, and NCES/IPEDS/Student Right-to-Know com­pliance. St. Francis College releases education records as these laws require.

Student Directory information may be released without the student’s prior consent. St. Francis College defines the following as Directory information:

  • student’s name.
  • address, telephone number(s), and e‑mail address(es).
  • age (or date of birth) and place of birth.
  • photographs.
  • major and minor fields of study.
  • level (undergraduate/graduate) and class year.
  • schedule(s) of classes, enrollment load(s) (full-time/part-time), and dates of attendance.
  • matriculation status and date.
  • honors and awards.
  • degrees received (including date of award).
  • previous institutions attended.
  • participation in clubs, sports, or student activities.
  • height and weight of members of athletic teams.

To withhold information, students must make a formal request by submitting a signed, dated letter to the Office of the Registrar. Students are advised that withholding information may carry certain consequences. For example, as long as a non-disclosure order is  in effect, the student may not participate in intercollegiate athletics where team rosters are published or in commencement ceremonies. St. Francis College assumes no liability for honoring the student’s instructions to withhold information.

For additional information, contact the Office of the Registrar.